Wednesday 20 February 2013

MRF CoP - do we need it?


My previous post suggested that economic theory doesn't necessarily support the case for a mandatory MRF code of practice (CoP). While I believe that this is the case, and would maintain that - contrary to Defra's stated belief - current market signals do work (just not necessarily in domestic reprocessors' favour), I might still support the introduction of a CoP in practical terms.

My reason being that we have an obligation to meet European legislative requirements, in that we must demonstrate that a co-mingled approach to recycling can meet Waste Framework Directive objectives. In this context, the introduction of a mandatory code may be a necessary evil.

Is the CoP really necessary to guarantee high quality recycling? I don't think so, but I do think it may be necessary to placate a noisy domestic reprocessing sector, and also to offset the objections of an equally vocal wider set of campaigners for "real recycling".

I also think that the end result will be to push costs from (both domestic and overseas) reprocessors on to waste producers (local authorities and householders). Where these costs were previously borne by overseas reprocessors, the net effect will be negative for the UK economy.

Whether the implementation of a mandatory CoP will be sufficient to offset other macro-economic issues affecting the domestic reprocessing sector remains doubtful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment